Providing Accredited Auslan Sign Language Interpreters Australia Wide


Do you need a sign language interpreter? NICSS provides interpreters to sign language users for a range of services.  

Some services where you or your service provider can book a NICSS interpreter are:

  • Public Hospitals*
    • Doctor appointment
    • Outpatient Clinics
    • On the Ward
    • Overnight Stays
    • Emergency Department
  • Private Hospitals*
    • On the Ward
    • Overnight Stays
  • National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIS) Planning and Review Meetings
  • Accountants
  • Conferences, Meetings and Events
  • Education
  • Employment
  • Financial Advice
  • Legal / Mediation
  • Police Matters
  • Translation Services
    (English to Auslan)

If your professional or government service provider is paying for the interpreter, they must make the booking for you.


Can I use NICSS if I have a NDIS plan? 

If you have a NDIS plan that includes interpreting hours, you can book an interpreter for your healthcare appointments plus other appointments e.g. work, hobbies, financial advice, etc. 


NDIS - are you eligible?

You may be able to get a NDIS plan if you are

  • Deaf

  • Under 65 years old

  • Have Australian residency (Australian citizen or a permanent resident)

To find out if you can get NDIS plan, visit the My NDIS Access checklist (NDIS website).


What if I am not eligible for the NDIS?

If you are under 65 years and not eligible for NDIS, interpreting can be provided at a cost. 

If you are over 65 years and do not have a NDIS plan, NABS is free for medical appointments. 



If your appointment is employment related, you may be eligible for funding through JobAccess. Contact JobAccess on 1800 464 800 or


NICSS Feedback

If you have used our service and would like an opportunity to provide feedback, please complete our Feedback Form


Latest News

Upcoming Events

Bookmark SiteTell a FriendPrintContact UsHomeEmail